Classification at CIHI helps health care professionals maintain, understand and apply clinical data standards within our health care system.
At CIHI, we lead the development of a number of classifications to collect, analyze and enhance the consistency and accuracy of information on health care in Canada. We also represent Canada to international agencies working to enhance classification and terminology standards.
- ICD-10-CA—International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th Revision, Canada: developed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and enhanced by CIHI to meet Canadian morbidity data needs
- CCI—Canadian Classification of Health Interventions, developed by CIHI to accompany ICD-10-CA: replaces the earlier CCP classification
- ICF—International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health: developed by the WHO to replace ICIDH-2
We welcome your feedback and questions
- To purchase code tables or other products, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make a request for enhancements, additions or changes to ICD-10-CA and/or CCI.
Classification and coding information
Classification systems provide a systematic way to arrange elements in a subject (for example, health interventions) into groups or categories, so that data can be easily tabulated, aggregated and stored for statistical analysis.
The ICD-10-CA and CCI classifications and their subsets provide the clinical diagnostic and intervention data within most of CIHI’s data holdings.
Canadian Coding Standards for Version 2015 ICD-10-CA and CCI
We provide the Canadian Coding Standards for ICD-10-CA and CCI to promote data quality and consistency in the Discharge Abstract Database (DAD) and the National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS).
- Errata for v2015 ICD-10-CA/CCI With CIHI Publish Shadow Files (PDF)
- Merging and Using the v2015 CIHI Publish Shadow Files (PDF)
- Version 2015 ICD-10-CA Tabular List Index, Volume 1 (PDF)
- Version 2015 ICD-10-CA Alphabetical Index, Volume 2 (PDF)
- Version 2015 CCI Tabular List, Volume 3 (PDF)
- Version 2015 CCI Alphabetical Index, Volume 4 (PDF)
- Canadian Coding Standards for Version 2015 ICD-10-CA and CCI (Jan. 2015)
- 2015/2016 Category/Rubric Tables: ICD-10-CA, CCI (Feb 2015)
- 2015/2016 Code Title Tables: for use with ICD-10-CA, CCI (Feb 2015)
- Conversion Tables (for use with ICD-10-CA/CCI) (2009-2010)
- The 2015 ICD-10-CA and CCI Evolution Tables (Jan. 2015)
- ICD-10-CA/CCI (Feb. 2015)
- Validation Tables (for use with ICD-10-CA/CCI)
Our public submission process gives users of the classifications, and of the health data they provide, an opportunity to provide input into the maintenance and enhancement of these classifications. The Public Submission Guidelines provide an in-depth explanation of the process and list the required criteria for completing the Submission Request Form.
The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) is the global standard for reporting and categorizing diseases, health-related conditions and external causes of disease and injury in order to compile useful health information related to deaths, illness and injury (mortality and morbidity).
The World Health Organization (WHO) is currently developing the 11th revision of the ICD. It is anticipated that the final ICD-11 will be approved for release by the World Health Assembly in 2018.