Updated June 5, 2020 — CIHI is committed to collecting, analyzing and sharing credible health data to help improve our health care systems and the health of all Canadians. We’ve compiled our key reports and resources containing information related to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and will update this page with new content whenever possible.
On this page:
- CIHI’s data and information
- Data collection
- External data and resources
- Requests for additional data
Recently added and updated:
- June 5, 2020: ICD-10-CA Coding Direction for COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions
- May 29, 2020: COVID-19: Race-Based Data Collection and Health Reporting (PDF)
- May 29, 2020: Webinar: ICD-10-CA Coding Direction for COVID-19
- May 28, 2020 (update): Nursing in Canada
- May 28, 2020 (update): Hospital beds staffed and in operation by care setting, by province/territory, 2018–2019 (XLSX)
- May 28, 2020 (update): Inpatient Hospitalization Quick Stats (XLSX)
- May 28, 2020 (update): Top reasons for hospital stays in Canada
- May 28, 2020 (update): Visit Your Health System: In Depth
- May 28, 2020: Health Indicators e-Publication
- May 26, 2020: Accelerated COVID-19 Reporting: NACRS ED and DAD Inpatient Records (British Columbia Health Authorities) (PDF)
CIHI’s data and information
Here is the most recent public data CIHI has available on a number of topics that relate to COVID-19.
Health System Capacity Planning Tool
CIHI has developed the Health System Capacity Planning Tool to support decision-makers in understanding expected health resource demands and supply shortfalls related to the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information on how this tool can be used in your jurisdiction or organization, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Health care workers
Health care professionals are one of the greatest assets of Canada’s health care systems. Take a closer look at the number and distribution of health professionals in Canada, many of whom are on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic:
Hospitals and emergency departments
Canada’s capacity to care for the sickest patients diagnosed with COVID-19 depends on the number of hospital beds and health care resources available. Data on primary reasons for hospitalizations and emergency department wait times reflects the load shouldered by hospitals prior to the pandemic. CIHI will be releasing more information on hospital beds in the coming weeks.
Estimated Planned Surgery Cancellations
- Estimating Planned Surgical Cancellations Due to COVID-19 Using Historical Data — Summary (PDF)
- Estimating Planned Surgical Cancellations Due to COVID-19 Using Historical Data — Data Tables (XLSX)
Hospital beds available
- Care in Canadian ICUs — Data Tables (XLSX)
- Adult ICU beds per 100,000 population, by province and Canada, (see Table 3)
- Number of ICU patients by ventilation status, Canada, 2007–2008 to 2013–2014 (see Table 11)
CIHI will be releasing more information on hospital beds, ICUs and ventilation in the coming weeks.
People older than age 65 have shown to be more vulnerable to the effects of COVID-19. Residents of long-term care facilities and those receiving home care are therefore at higher risk than the rest of Canada’s population.
- Profiles of long-term care residents (XLSX)
- Profiles of home care clients (XLSX)
- Flu shot rates for Canadian seniors
Health care spending
Health-spending trends and data on where money is spent (e.g., on hospitals, physician payments and pharmaceuticals) can be used as benchmarks for additional COVID-19–related costs.
- National Health Expenditure Database (NHEX)
- Public and Private Sector Health Expenditures by Use of Funds
- Prescription Drug Expenditures
Your Health System
Your Health System (YHS): In Depth is a unique tool with an array of comparable health system data on hospitals, long-term care facilities and the health of Canadians across the country. The indicators in the tool provide baseline data on more than 600 hospitals and 1,600 long-term care facilities. Examples of searchable information related to COVID-19 in YHS include:
- Ambulatory care sensitive conditions
- High users of hospital beds
- Long-term care residents older than 85
- Hospital occupancy rates
- Emergency department data
New ICD-10-CA codes and coding direction
- April 30, 2020: ICD-10-CA Coding Direction for COVID-19 in Obstetrics, and Updates on the Use of COVID-19 Laboratory Test Results
- March 26, 2020: ICD-10-CA Coding Direction for Suspected COVID-19 Cases
- February 24, 2020: ICD-10-CA Coding Direction for Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
CIHI will provide updates if new codes are released by WHO.
Additional coding directions
- May 13, 2020: COVID-19 coding direction for dialysis patients: Canadian Organ Replacement Register (CORR)
- May 13, 2020: COVID-19 coding direction for transplant patients: Canadian Organ Replacement Register (CORR)
- April 2, 2020: Capturing COVID-19 Diagnoses Using interRAI Assessments in Long-Term Care, Home Care and Inpatient Mental Health
- April 2, 2020: Capturing COVID-19 Diagnoses in the NRS
- April 2, 2020: Important Information for CCRS, HCRS, IRRS, OMHRS and NRS
Clinicians can help ensure that support COVID-19 data for supports disease surveillance activities. This simple guide will help them ensure their COVID-19 documentation is precise and supports quality data capture.
Accelerated reporting schedules
We’re offering flexible submission options for accelerated reporting of COVID-19 (coronavirus) records to the Discharge Abstract Database (DAD) and National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS).
- Accelerated COVID-19 Reporting: NACRS ED and DAD Inpatient Records (British Columbia Health Authorities)
Race data collection
External data sources
It is not customary for CIHI to direct visitors to external data sources that we have not created, but these are unprecedented times. We think it’s important for Canadians to have access to reliable information. Our data experts have reviewed these sources and think they might be valuable to you. CIHI will make every effort to share resources that are available in both English and French. Please note that since these are external resources (i.e., not created by CIHI), CIHI cannot verify whether they are compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians With Disabilities Act (AODA).
Daily COVID-19 case reporting
Track reported cases and number tested for COVID-19 in Canada with this interactive tool from researchers at the University of Toronto.
- COVID-19 in Canada — interactive tool, – University of Toronto (updated daily)External link, opens in new window
COVID-19 across Canada hub
A compilation of COVID-19 resources, including an “Outbreak at a Glance” landing page, provided by Esri Canada.
Critical care capacity data
This article provides information on the number of ICUs and ventilation and oxygenation capacity across the provinces and territories.
- Critical care capacity in Canada: Results of a national cross-sectional study External link, opens in new window
- Number of ICUs and ventilation and oxygenation capacity across provinces (Table 1) External link, opens in new window
Public Health Agency of Canada reporting
Get the latest updates on COVID-19 across the country from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
CIHI’s postponed releases
In response to the impact of COVID-19 on Canada’s health care systems, CIHI has postponed the release of the following reports originally scheduled for March 2020:
- Wait Times for Priority Procedures in Canada
- Early Revisions for Hip and Knee Replacements in Canada
- Implantable Medical Devices in Canada
Please check our Upcoming releases page for updates.
Requests for additional data
For media-related inquiries or requests for custom statistics, please contact our Media team.
For non-media-related inquiries or requests to access data, please visit CIHI’s Make a Data Request page.