What we do
The Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) is an independent, not-for-profit organization that provides essential information on Canada’s health systems and the health of Canadians.
We provide comparable and actionable data and information that are used to accelerate improvements in health care, health system performance and population health across Canada. Our stakeholders use our broad range of health system databases, measurements and standards, together with our evidence-based reports and analyses, in their decision-making processes. We protect the privacy of Canadians by ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of the health care information we provide.
Our core values
- Created in 1994 to forge a common approach to Canadian health information
- Our vision: Better data. Better decisions. Healthier Canadians.
- 28 pan-Canadian databases across health sectors
- ISO/IEC 27001:2005 certification for information security management
Our data helps...
- Long-term care facilities reduce the use of antipsychotic meds for seniors
- Parliamentary committees better understand eating disorders in women and girls
- Hospitals rethink traditional models of care for homeless people
- The health system shed light on organ donation
- Policy-makers and clinicians better understand which medical devices work best for which patients
- Our partners in the health system address a growing cause of injury among seniors