The Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) is an independent, not-for-profit organization that provides essential information on Canada’s health systems and the health of Canadians.
We provide comparable and actionable data and information that are used to accelerate improvements in health care, health system performance and population health across Canada. Our stakeholders use our broad range of health system databases, measurements and standards, together with our evidence-based reports and analyses, in their decision-making processes. We protect the privacy of Canadians by ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of the health care information we provide.
- Created in 1994 to forge a common approach to Canadian health information
- Our vision: Better data. Better decisions. Healthier Canadians.
- 28 pan-Canadian databases across health sectors
- ISO/IEC 27001:2005 certification for information security management
What we do
After holding extensive consultations with stakeholders across the country to better understand their needs, both now and in the future, CIHI completed its Strategic Plan, 2016 to 2021.
Over the next 5 years, CIHI will focus its efforts on influencing and improving Canada’s health systems, guided by 4 key themes and 4 key populations that our stakeholders told us were important.
We will focus on a number of vulnerable populations, including:
- Recipients of mental health and addictions services
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis
- Children and youth
Our priority themes
- Patient experience
- Quality and safety
- Value for money