After providing quality health data, standards, analytical measurement tools and actionable analysis to Canada’s health sector for more than 20 years, CIHI continues to play a unique role in Canada’s health care systems. We believe that better data contributes to better decisions, ultimately improving the health of Canadians. CIHI’s Strategic Plan, 2016 to 2021 is the result of extensive consultation with our stakeholder community, our staff and our international colleagues.
CIHI’s strategic goals and mandate
Our new strategic goals build on our core strengths and renew our dedication to
- Be a trusted source of standards and quality data
- Expand analytical tools to support measurement of health systems
- Produce actionable analysis and accelerate its adoption
Our renewed mandate is to deliver comparable and actionable information to accelerate improvements in health care, health system performance and population health across the continuum of care. This renewed mandate highlights the importance of responding to stakeholder needs quickly with innovative tools and approaches.
Key health care themes and populations to provide better-quality, safer health care
Over the next 5 years, CIHI will focus its efforts on influencing and improving Canada’s health systems, guided by 4 key themes and 4 key populations that our stakeholders told us were important.
The priority themes are
- Patient experience
- Quality and safety
- Value for money
We will focus on a number of vulnerable populations, including
- Recipients of mental health and addictions services
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis
- Children and youth
Building on our core strengths to ensure accessibility to our data and information
Building on our past success and experience, we will enrich CIHI’s information infrastructure to better leverage open data principles and technology. Our core strengths include
- Identifying health information needs and priorities
- Coordinating and promoting standards and data quality
- Developing and managing health system databases and registries
- Developing comparable measures of health system performance
- Conducting analyses in the areas of population health and health services
- Building capacity and conducting education sessions
We will transform our digital presence to make sure that our data and information are more accessible, and easier to use, interpret and share. This will allow us to more easily adapt to our stakeholders’ specific needs through customized products and services that are pertinent and relevant.
As part of the strategic plan, CIHI is making a formal commitment to our stakeholders to ensure that their needs are at the core of everything we do. As we go about implementing our plan over the next 5 years, we will
- Listen and adapt to our stakeholders’ changing needs
- Deliver valuable and relevant products and services to support them in their work
- Make it easier to work with us
The conversations we started in the public consultations will continue as we work toward our goals to ensure that the voices of our stakeholders are reflected in our work from the beginning. We look forward to working with our stakeholders as we take action on our new strategic plan. CIHI will monitor and publicly report on our progress through a performance measurement strategy.