Health outcomes are changes in health that result from measures or specific health care investments or interventions.
Health outcomes include
- Preventing death after a heart attack through in-hospital care
- Improvements in a patient’s quality of life following surgery for a specific health issue; for example, improved eye sight following cataract surgery
CIHI gathers and analyzes health care data and information so that we can effectively report on health outcomes following care. We also look for opportunities to increase our knowledge and understanding of health outcomes through enhanced availability of health outcomes data and information.
We welcome your feedback and questions
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a data inquiry or research question? Make a custom data request.
Health outcomes information
- Weekend Admissions and In-Hospital Mortality (June 2014)
- Bariatric surgery in Canada (May 2014)
- Measuring the Level and Determinants of Health System Efficiency in Canada (Apr.2014)
- Early Identification of People at-risk of Hospitalization: Hospital Admission Risk Prediction (HARP) (Sept. 2013)
- Health Outcomes of Care: An Idea Whose Time Has Come (Aug. 2012)
- Developing a Model for Measuring Health System Efficiency in Canada (July 2012)
- Report series Health Care in Canada
- A Framework for Health Outcomes Analysis (July 2008)
- Breast Cancer Surgery in Canada, 2007–2008 to 2009–2010 (Oct. 2012)
- Pathways of Care for People With Stroke in Ontario (July 2012)
- All-Cause Readmission to Acute Care and Return to the Emergency Department (June 2012)
- Health Indicators 2012: Avoidable Mortality (May 2012)
- Disparities in Primary Health Care Experiences Among Canadians With Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions (Mar. 2012)
- Learning From the Best: Benchmarking Canada’s Health System (Nov. 2011)
- In Due Time: Why Maternal Age Matters (Sept. 2011)
CIHI's many databases are used to calculate our large number of clinical, financial and other indicators across the health system and for populations. Our databases include
- Discharge Abstract Database (DAD)
- Hospital Morbidity Database (HMDB)
- National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS)
- National Physician Database (NPDB)
- National Health Expenditure Database (NHEX)
Patient-reported Outcome Measures
Patient-reported outcomes are essential to understanding whether health care services and procedures make a difference to patients’ health status and quality of life. CIHI is working with a broad range of stakeholders to advance a common approach to using patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs) across Canada. Learn more about PROMs.