Scott’s Medical Database (SMDB), formerly Southam Medical Database, provides information on the number of physicians and their distribution across Canada. It also contains demographic, education and migration information.
Because physicians can be uniquely identified in this database, changes in physician type as well as physician movement among provinces and territories can be tracked over time. The data is purchased annually from Scott’s Directories.
CIHI purchases data annually from Scott’s Directories. The data is collected from a number of organizations and institutions, such as
- Jurisdictional registrars
- Medical schools
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada
SMDB data is detailed at the individual physician level.
SMDB data is available for the following calendar years:
- Most recent year: 2018
- Next release: 2019 (September 2020)
- Historical data: 1968 to 2018
No official classification standards are used in the capture of SMDB data.
The database contains the following information about physicians:
- Demographics (age, gender, etc.)
- Specialty (most recent certified medical specialty)
- Activity status (active, abroad, etc.)
- Country, school and year of MD graduation
Data definitions can be found in the SMDB Methodology Notes (PDF).
CIHI ensures that the quality of information in our data holdings is suited to its intended uses and that data users are provided with accurate information about data quality. Read more about our Data and Information Quality Program.
SMDB data quality documentation can be found in the Methodology Notes of the annual SMDB data table release.
For further information on SMDB data, email email@example.com