Researchers, decision-makers and health managers can request specific data from one or more of CIHI’s databases. Data can be retrieved at an aggregate or record level. Complete our initial Data Inquiry Form to begin. CIHI will respond with the formal Data Request Form to collect more information.Access Data Inquiry Form
Data request pricing
CIHI responds to data requests on a cost-recovery basis, as follows:
- $155 an hour for Canadian health care facilities, media (data requests only), governments, not-for-profit health agencies, universities (except for students through the Graduate Student Data Access Program), health professionals and researchers from the public sector (Price A clients)
- $310 an hour for private commercial operations (including but not limited to software vendors and consultants), foreign clients (Price B clients) and others not qualifying for Price A
CIHI’s billing is based on the number of hours needed to
- Review the data request
- Consult on and develop specifications
- Manipulate and/or analyze data
- Seek advice from CIHI’s support areas
- Perform data quality assurance
- Transmit data
The billing time includes consulting with clients, developing specifications, programming and verifying data, and preparing data for release. The first 2 hours of production time for Price A clients are free. For media, 10 free hours of staff time are provided per topic per 12-month period.
If applicable, GST/HST will be added to the invoice.
For third-party record-level data requests, CIHI has a follow-up program in place to ensure that clients securely destroy CIHI’s data after a specified period of time, as stated in the Non-Disclosure/Confidentiality Agreement (NDCA).
By signing the NDCA, you agree to permit CIHI to visit your premises and conduct an audit. See the Information Sheet on CIHI’s Privacy Audit Program for Third-Party Record-Level Data Recipients (updated July 2014) (PDF).