The National Health Expenditure Database (NHEX) has been collecting, processing and analyzing summary data on all health spending in Canada since 1975. Health expenditures for the most recent two years are also forecasted.
Information from NHEX is used to facilitate provincial/territorial, national and international comparative reporting. NHEX information also supports policy planning, decision-making and research.
Find out more about health spending, including reports and analyses based on NHEX data.
NHEX data is extracted manually from diverse documents that are publicly available. These include
- National and provincial/territorial public accounts
- Other financial reports, private insurance companies and the firm AC Nielsen Canada
- Statistics Canada documents
NHEX contains data on health spending in Canada by spending category and source of funding.
- Provincial Government Sector
- Other Public Sector
- Federal Direct Sector
- Municipal Government Sector
- Social Security Funds
- Workers’ Compensation Boards
- Premiums to Quebec Drug Insurance Fund
- Out of Pocket
- Private Health Insurance
- Commercial Insurance Firms
- Not-for-Profit Insurance Firms
The up-to-date comprehensive data tables are available to download free of charge at the NHEX web page
- Most recent year
- 2014 (actual)
- 2015 and 2016 (forecast)
- Next release (October/November 2017)
- 2015 (actual)
- 2016 and 2017 (forecast)
- Historical series: The past 5 years of National Health Expenditure Trends are available
National health expenditures in Canada are based on a system of classification consistent with international standards developed by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) The OECD standards are used for reporting health expenditures. For more information on the OECD (Canadian segment), refer to OECD.
The database contains expenditure data by province/territory on more than 40 categories from:
- Federal, provincial, territorial and municipal governments, as well as workers’ compensation boards
- Other social security funds
- Private insurance and market research companies
Information on NHEX data elements can be found in the Methodological Notes section of the annual report:
CIHI ensures that the quality of information in our data holdings is suited to its intended uses and that data users are provided with accurate information about data quality.
Read more about our Data Quality Enhancement Program.
NHEX data quality documentation can be found in the Methodological Notes section of the annual report: