In 2017, total health expenditure in Canada is expected to reach $242 billion, or $ 6,604 per person. It is anticipated that, overall, health spending will represent 11.5% of Canada’s gross domestic product (GDP). To learn more, see our report National Health Expenditure Trends.
To track how health dollars are being spent, we maintain these databases:
- National Health Expenditure Database (NHEX), the primary source of health spending information in Canada
- Canadian MIS Database (CMDB), the primary source of information on staffing, cost, workload and provision of health services
- Canadian Patient Cost Database (CPCD), the data source used to estimate costs by patient group
OECD Health Database (Canadian Segment), maintained by CIHI and Statistics Canada, the data source that includes a consistent series of internationally comparable data for most of the 1,200 variables contained in the OECD database.
Combined, these data sources help us provide our stakeholders with trend analyses and short-term forecasts on health spending in Canada. They also track hospital financial performance and spending related to patient care.
Key reports and analyses
Understanding Variability in the Cost of a Standard Hospital Stay
This report explores observed variability in the indicator Cost of a Standard Hospital Stay, considering such things as staff mix, teaching status and facility size.
National Health Expenditure Trends, 1975 to 2017 (Nov. 2017)
This report provides an overview of how much is spent on health care annually, what and who the money is being spent on, and where the money comes from.
Prescribed Drug Spending in Canada, 2017: A Focus on Public Drug Programs (Nov. 2017)
This report provides an in-depth look at public drug program spending using data from CIHI’s National Prescription Drug Utilization Information System (NPDUIS).
Health Spending — Nursing Homes (Nov 2014)
This information sheet contains key messages on health spending in nursing homes including how much is spent, who is providing the care and the role of the private sector.
We welcome your feedback and questions
Contact us at these email addresses:
- Canadian MIS Database (CMDB): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canadian Patient Cost Database (CPCD): email@example.com
- National Health Expenditure Database (NHEX): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Health Database (Canadian Segment): email@example.com
Have a data inquiry or research question? Make a data request.