The Hospital Mental Health Database (HMHDB) contains data from all provinces and territories in Canada on hospitalizations for mental illness and addiction.
HMHDB data is gathered from administrative separation records of psychiatric and general hospitals from 4 sources:
- Discharge Abstract Database (DAD): Separation records from psychiatric hospitals participating in the DAD
- Hospital Morbidity Database (HMDB): Separation records from psychiatric hospitals in Quebec and selected acute separation records from all provinces and territories
- Hospital Mental Health Survey (HMHS): Separation records from selected psychiatric hospitals that do not report to the DAD
- Ontario Mental Health Reporting System (OMHRS): Separation records for individuals admitted as inpatients to adult mental health services in Ontario as well as some individuals in youth inpatient beds and selected facilities in other provinces
Inpatient hospital stays from all provinces and territories are represented in the HMHDB. The HMHDB includes general and psychiatric hospitals.
Data from 2003–2004 to 2016–2017 is available on request.
- Most recent year: 2016–2017
- Next release: 2017–2018 (March 2019)
- Historical series: 2003–2004 to 2015–2016
Quick Stats based on the HMHDB provide statistics on hospitalizations for mental illness and addictions.
For data from 2003–2004 to 2015–2016, please complete a data request form.
|Data Source||Diagnostic classification system|
|HMHS||DSM-IV-TR or ICD-9|
OMHRS data is sourced from the Resident Assessment Instrument–Mental Health (RAI-MH)©, a unique standardized data collection system for mental health.
ICD-10-CA and CCI documents
- Canadian Coding Standards for ICD-10-CA and CCI
- ICD-10-CA and CCI Evolution Tables
- Validation Tables (for Use With ICD-10-CA/CCI)
Historical documents are available upon request.
Data consists of demographic and medical diagnosis information on inpatient hospital stays.
- Fiscal Year
- Province of Hospital
- Hospital Number
- Record Number
- Date of Admission
- Date of Separation
- Discharge Disposition
- Length of Stay
- Date of Birth
- Age at Admission
- Age at Separation
- Postal Code
- Primary Diagnosis at Separation
- Secondary Diagnosis at Separation
More detailed information on the HMHDB data elements can be found in the following document:
CIHI ensures that the quality of the information in our data holdings is suited to its intended uses and that data users are provided with accurate information about data quality. Read more about our Data and Information Quality Program.
HMHDB quality issues are documented in the following product: