Insight combines the power of the rich comparative health data at CIHI with user-friendly business intelligence software and puts it at the fingertips of health care planners, managers and analysts. This secure online tool helps health system stakeholders understand activity and performance in health care organizations, health regions and the provinces and territories.
Insight is complemented by the publicly available Your Health System: In Brief and In Depth, where you can explore Canada’s health systems and the health of Canadians. Search by hospital, long-term care organization, city, health region, province or territory.
What types of questions can Insight help you answer?
- How is our organization performing and how do we compare with others?
- How good is our care and is our care improving?
- What factors are driving our results?
- What types of conditions were associated with our highest patient volumes? What is the estimated cost of treating these types of patients?
- What and where are the potential bed savings opportunities?
What does Insight offer you?
- Open-year data lets you make decisions using the most up-to-date information.
- Data snapshots let you easily spot differences and identify areas of focus.
- Data discovery lets you query the data to test different hypotheses without having to be an expert in data analytics and without doing custom coding.
- Chart-level information lets you explore and understand what records are included in the results and why.
- Intuitive navigation lets you get at information easily without having to make a lot of selections.
- The flexible export function lets you interact with the data and export it to a variety of formats (including dynamic PDF and Excel) that can be easily shared in presentations and reports.
How do you get access to Insight?
Insight is available to health care organizations, including hospitals, health regions and ministries/departments of health. Staff working in the areas of decision support, clinical management, quality improvement and planning will find this tool useful.
If you work for an organization that has a signed service agreement with CIHI, you may request access to Insight. Simply create a CIHI profile if you don’t already have one, and then make an online request. You can request access to all aggregate-level indicator results, as well as to record-level data for your organization. Your organization’s designated contact must approve your request before access is granted.
For more information on accessing Insight or any part of Your Health System, please send an email to email@example.com.
Insight data refresh schedule
Each month, Insight is temporarily unavailable while we refresh the data. Downtime typically occurs during the 2 days prior to publishing the new data.
|Data received at CIHI by…||Will be reflected in Insight on…|
|January 4, 2018||January 18, 2018|
|February 5, 2018||February 22, 2018|
|March 5, 2018||March 21, 2018|
|April 5, 2018||April 19, 2018|
|May 3, 2018||May 17, 2018|
|June 5, 2018||June 21, 2018|
|July 5, 2018||July 19, 2018|
|August 3, 2018||August 22, 2018|
|September 6, 2018||September 20, 2018|
|October 3, 2018||October 18, 2018|
|November 5, 2018||November 22, 2018|
|December 5, 2018||December 20, 2018|
|January 4, 2019||January 22, 2019|
|February 5, 2019||February 21, 2019|
|March 5, 2019||March 21, 2019|
|April 3, 2019||April 17, 2019|
To learn more about Insight
Watch the 6-minute demonstration video.