Insight combines the power of CIHI’s rich comparative health data with user-friendly business intelligence software and puts it at the fingertips of health care planners, managers and analysts. This secure online tool helps health system stakeholders understand activity and performance in health care organizations, health regions and the provinces and territories.
Insight is complemented by the publicly available Your Health System: In Brief and In Depth, where you can explore Canada’s health systems and the health of Canadians. Search by hospital, long-term care organization, city, health region, province or territory.
What types of questions can Insight help you answer?
- How is our organization performing?
- How good is our care?
- How do we compare with others?
- When we look at trends, how are we doing over time? Is our care improving?
- Are we meeting our goals?
- What factors are driving our results?
What does Insight offer you?
- Open-year data lets you make decisions using the most up-to-date information.
- Data snapshots let you easily spot differences and identify areas of focus.
- Data discovery lets you query the data to test different hypotheses without having to be an expert in data analytics and without doing custom coding.
- Chart-level information lets you explore and understand what records are included in the results and why.
- Intuitive navigation lets you get at information easily without having to make a lot of selections.
- The flexible export function lets you interact with the data and export it to a variety of formats (including dynamic PDF and Excel) that can be easily shared in presentations and reports.
How do you get access to Insight?
Insight is available to health care organizations, including hospitals, health regions and ministries/departments of health. Staff working in the areas of decision support, clinical management, quality improvement and planning will find this tool useful.
If you work for an organization that has a signed service agreement with CIHI, you may request access to Insight. Simply create a CIHI profile if you don’t already have one, and then make an online request. You can request access to all aggregate-level indicator results, as well as to record-level data for your organization. Your organization’s designated contact must approve your request before access is granted.
For more information on accessing Insight or any part of Your Health System, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Insight data refresh schedule
Submit data by the last day of each month and you will see it reflected in Insight on the following dates:
- September 22, 2016
- October 20, 2016
- November 22, 2016
- December 21, 2016
- January 19, 2017
- February 22, 2017
- March 21, 2017
- April 25, 2017
Each month, Insight is temporarily unavailable while we refresh the data. Downtime typically occurs during the 2 days prior to publishing the new data.
To learn more about Insight
Watch the 6-minute demonstration video.