Hospital-based continuing care serves individuals who may not be ready for discharge from hospital but who no longer need acute care services. Also known as extended care, chronic care or complex continuing care, it provides ongoing professional services to a diverse population with complex health needs. Facilities may be free-standing or co-located with acute and/or rehabilitation services within one hospital.
CIHI collects and reports on clinical, administrative and financial data from hospitals providing continuing care in Canada. We also collect information on transitions of continuing care hospital patients to and from acute care.
We welcome your feedback and questions
- Contact us at email@example.com.
Have a data inquiry or research question? Make a custom data request.
Are you a RAI assessor or educator? Visit the Resources for Continuing and Residential Care interRAI Assessors page.
Continuing care information
- Seniors and Alternate Level of Care: Building on Our Knowledge (Nov 2012)
- Health Care in Canada, 2011: A Focus on Seniors and Aging (Nov 2012)
Continuing Care Reporting System
The Continuing Care Reporting System (CCRS) contains demographic, administrative, clinical and resource utilization information on individuals who receive continuing care services in hospitals or long-term care homes in Canada. Participating organizations also provide information on facility characteristics to support comparative reporting and benchmarking.
The clinical data standard for CCRS was developed by interRAI, an international research network. It was modified with permission by CIHI for Canadian use. Clinicians assess their residents using interRAI’s Resident Assessment Instrument–Minimum Data Set (RAI-MDS 2.0)©. The information is entered into a computer at the point of care. Real-time reports flag resident risks and inform care planning. The information then flows to CIHI. With no additional collection effort, evidence is available to guide care and system-wide planning as well as quality improvement.
Metadata is information about data. It helps users understand and interpret data from a specific source.
Find out more about the following data source:
- Using the interRAI Assessment System (video)
- Following the Flow of Health Care Data (video)
- CIHI Home and Continuing Care Reporting Systems: Bringing evidence to support your decisions (video)
- CIHI Data Helps Battle Depression (video)
- CIHI Data Helps Put Philosophy Into Practice (video)
- CIHI Data Helps Change Practice (video)
Continuing and residential care information sheets
- CIHI/interRAI update: CIHI’s new Integrated interRAI Reporting System (Jun 2017) (PDF)
- Continuing Care Reporting System and RAI-MDS 2.0 (Jun 2017) (PDF)
- Understanding and Using interRAI Assessment Information (Apr 2016) (PDF)
Continuing and residential care user manuals
- Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI) RAI-MDS 2.0 User’s Manual (includes assessment form)
- Continuing Care Reporting System (CCRS) Data Submission User Manual
- interRAI Clinical Assessment Protocols (CAPs) Manual
- Associated documents
Continuing and residential care specifications manuals
Continuing and residential care quality indicators
Continuing and residential care education
- CIHI Learning and Development_interRAI in Continuing Care (2018) (PDF)
- To access a complete list of CIHI’s courses, see the CIHI Learning Centre.