To upgrade the version 2015 Shadow File — either ICD-10-CA or CCI (or both) — to the corresponding new version 2018 classification, follow the instructions outlined below.
How to Upgrade Shadow File
- Ensure version 2015 ICD-10-CA/CCI is installed.
- From the Start menu shortcut, open the version 2018 classification (either ICD-10-CA or CCI) as a Shadow File (.SDW). (Choose whichever classification you wish to upgrade.)
- Do not open the v2018 Infobase (.NFO).
- Folio Views will launch with the appropriate customizations for the specific classification (either ICD-10-CA or CCI).
- The first time you open the version 2018 .SDW, a newv2018 Shadow File (.SDW) — containing no Notes, Highlighters or Bookmarks — will be loaded. It is ready to be upgraded with your version 2015 Shadow File.
- In the classification toolbar, click Tools. A pop-up window will appear; Upgrade Shadow in the window menu should be active (i.e., not greyed out).
If it is greyed out, you will need to Modify Permission to allow read/write permission in the version 2018 Shadow File (.SDW). You can either contact your IT department to do this for you or do it yourself (see instructions below).
Check the installation files to make sure that permission is set to read/write. To find the default location,
- Go to your C:\ drive and right-click the CIHI folder (or the folder where you installed the v2018 classifications).
- Click Properties, then click the Security tab and make sure users have modified permissions.
- Under the header “Group or user names:,” click Users group.
- Under the header “Permissions for Users,”
- If the Modify box is checked then you have full read/write permissions and can use the Upgrade Shadow function.
- If the Modify box is not checked, you have only read access and the Upgrade Shadow function will not be available. To put a checkmark at Modify, select the Edit button underneath Group or user names. Under the Allow label, select Modify and click Apply (bottom right corner of the window).
You are now ready to Upgrade your v2015 Shadow Files to the v2018 classifications.
To start the new Upgrade Shadow process
- In the classification main toolbar, click Tools menu.
- From the drop-down window, select Upgrade Shadow. A popup window will appear to prompt you to retrieve your previous shadow file.
- In the Open dialogue window, browse to locate your v2015 Shadow File that you want to upgrade for use in the v2018 classification.
- Click Open.
Note: Ensure that when you open your v2015 Shadow File classification, it is the same classification as the v2018 classification that you have open (for example, upgrade the English ICD-10-CA 2015 Shadow File to the English ICD-10-CA 2018 Shadow File).
- The Upgrade Shadow process will begin, showing a Progress dialog. No further action is required during the Upgrade Shadow process.
- After this process is complete, a log file will appear that outlines the import summary that has been imported into the 2018 Shadow File. (For details on what is included in the log file, see Analyzing the log file below.)
- Save the log file in a desired location for retrieval purposes. This is a one-time process; you do not have to repeat this every time you open the v2018 ICD-10-CA/CCI Shadow Files. If you do not want to save the log file, you can repeat the Upgrade Shadow process as often as you wish.
This completes the process for upgrading your v2015 Shadow File to v2018.
Repeat steps 1 to 4 for other v2015 Shadow Files you want to upgrade to a v2018 classification.
As indicated above, the log file provides a summary of the Upgrade Shadow process, indicating whether or not the import of each note, highlight and bookmark was successful.
It provides a comprehensive account of the number and percentage of Notes, Highlights and Bookmarks that were imported into the v2018 Shadow File. The log also provides an itemized list of the Items Not Imported, including the Source record number and exact hit. There are also sections for Items Imported but with warnings and Items Imported Successfully.
An example of a log file:
Analyzing the log file
The Upgrade Shadow File process may not automatically copy 100% of the notes, highlighters or bookmarks. For example, a code may have been deactivated in v2018, so the v2015 Shadow File note would not have a location in v2018. It is important that you review each item in the Items not Imported and Items Imported but with warnings sections of the log file and take manual corrective measures if desired.
For entries that were not imported, you should locate them in your v2015 Shadow File and attempt to find a suitable location in the 2018 Shadow File, as follows:
- Open your v2015 Shadow File.
- Open the v2018 Shadow File for the same classification.
- Review the Items not Imported section of the log file.
- In your v2015 Shadow File, locate each item that was not imported into the v2018 Shadow File. (See the section below “Searching for notes that did not Import or Import with warnings to the v2018 Shadow File.”)
- Examine the contents of the note in your v2015 Shadow File that was not imported to the v2018 Shadow File to determine its suitability for inclusion in the 2018 file.
- If you determine that the item from your v2015 Shadow File that was not imported to the 2018 file has relevance in the 2018 classification, search for similar codes or text in the v2018 Shadow File where the note from 2015 can be located.
- Examine the Deactivated Codes appendix in the 2018 classification to determine whether or not the code has been intentionally removed.
- To copy a note from your v2015 Shadow File to the v2018 Shadow File,
- Open the 2015 note, copy the text to a Word or Excel document, then copy/paste the text into a new note that you manually created in the v2018 Shadow File.
- Bookmarks and highlighters that have not been imported can be manually reapplied to the v2018 Shadow File using the Folio Bookmarks and Highlighters functionalities.
Note: An item may not have been imported, or have been imported with warnings, for the following reasons:
- The code was deactivated in v2018 ICD-10-CA/CCI and there is not a suitable location for the item from the 2015 version.
- Although the Upgrade Shadow process attempts to find the most suitable location for each entry, some items may be ambiguous and a specific location cannot be found. It is important that you review the “Items not Imported” section of the log file to review each item that was not imported and take manual corrective measures if desired.
- In some ambiguous situations, the module may select a specific location. Review the Items Imported but with warnings section of the log file and look at each item to determine whether the best location has been chosen. If the entry is not in the v2018 Shadow File, you may decide to copy the note manually, or to ignore the item and not insert it in the v2018 Shadow File.
Searching for notes that did not Import or Import with warnings to the v2018 Shadow File
- Open your v2015 Shadow File and click the Go To button.
- In the Go To pop-up window, click the Record Number button.
- In the Go to field, enter the Record number from the Items not Imported or Imported with warnings.
Items not Imported
Source record number 63436 (hit 1 of 5):
Export Notes functionality
These instructions apply to a user who already has personal notes in his or her Shadow File and they apply to a group of users using a common Shadow File.
As in the v2015 classifications, the new v2018 ICD-10-CA and CCI Shadow Files include the Export Notes button on the toolbar.
This functionality allows you to export your personal notes to a log file where your notes are listed in the order they appear in your Shadow File. The list displays the caption, the content and the location of each note. Identifying the location may not be possible for each note, but the caption and content of the note will still be copied to the log file. Any special formatting in the notes remains intact. When the process is complete, the file can be saved with the name you specify, in the location you desire.
To export your personal notes, complete the following steps:
- Close any versions of Folio that may be open.
- From the Start menu, open the v2018 ICD-10-CA – Shadow – English or v2018 CCI – Shadow – English.
- Click on the Export Notes icon .
- If the Export Notes icon does not appear in the main toolbar on the Folio screen, go to Tools and select Customize (the second last option).
- In the Customize pop-up window, under Command Category field, select Export Notes and drag the icon over to the toolbar.
- When the Save As dialogue box appears, create a unique name for this file.
- Select where you want to save your personal notes log file and click Save.
- A log file (Personal Notes Summary) will then open, containing your personal Shadow File notes.
- After you have saved this log file in HTML format, you may wish to save it in a different format (e.g., Excel, Word). To do so,
- Close the log file, right-click the document, select Open with and choose the desired format.
The log file is not linked to the ICD-10-CA or CCI .sdw products; it is stored outside Folio. It is recommended that each caption and content field for an index note contain information specific enough to assist with locating the note in the Folio classification.