PROC13 — Final Treatment Modality
Canadian Organ Replacement Register (CORR) — Treatment Modality for End-Stage Kidney Disease (ESKD) Patients Registered in CORR on December 31, by Province of Treatment
Canadian Organ Replacement Register, registered ESKD patients, 2005 to 2014, Canadian Institute for Health Information.
Data from Quebec was not included in this table because of significant under-reporting between 2011 and 2014.
Year refers to calendar year.
Province refers to province of treatment. Patients being treated in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut are included in the Alberta count. Patients being treated in Yukon are included in the British Columbia count. Patients being treated in Prince Edward Island are included in the Nova Scotia count.
Data quality notes
CORR is a longitudinal database, following patients over time. Reporting centres may submit changes/updates for any particular year on an ongoing basis. As a result, data is subject to change and may differ from previously published reports.
The number of patients registered in CORR may vary from the actual number of patients receiving dialysis/living with a functioning kidney graft at year-end for the following reasons:
- Incident (new) patients are under-reported by some centres.
- Deaths are under-reported by some centres.
An overview of under-reporting of incident ESKD cases can be found in Data Quality Documentation for Users: Canadian Organ Replacement Register, 2005 to 2014 Data.
Interpretation of Data
End-stage kidney disease (ESKD): A condition in which the kidneys are permanently impaired and can no longer function normally to maintain life.
Final treatment modality: On December 31 of each calendar year, each registered patient will be counted under the last treatment of that year:
- Hemodialysis: Patients who are living and receiving hemodialysis on December 31
- Peritoneal dialysis: Patients who are living and receiving peritoneal dialysis on December 31
- Functioning kidney transplant: Patients who have had kidney transplants and are still alive with a functioning graft on December 31
Registered patient: A patient who began treatment for ESKD (either dialysis or kidney transplantation) for the first time in 1981 or thereafter and is registered in CORR. The progress of registered patients is monitored every year.
1. For more information about CORR, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. For help using interactive CIHI data, please send an email to email@example.com.
For more information, please contact
Canadian Institute for Health Information
4110 Yonge Street, Suite 300
Toronto, ON M2P 2B7
Phone: +1 416-481-2002
Fax: +1 416-481-2950
Last updated: January 14, 2016