Drugs play an essential role in treating various diseases. Pharmaceuticals have become a significant component of Canada's health care systems.
Our National Prescription Drug Utilization Information System (NPDUIS) Database provides data on key aspects of public drug plans in Canada. These include claims and formulary data, drug product information and plan information.
Pharmaceutical care and utilization information
- Prescribed Drug Spending in Canada, 2016: A Focus on Public Drug Programs (Dec. 2016)
- National Prescription Drug Utilization Information System Plan Information Document, July 2016
- National Prescription Drug Utilization Information System Database-Plan Information: Summary of Changes, July 2016
- Use of Antipsychotics Among Seniors Living in Long-Term Care Facilities, 2014 (February 2016)
- Persistence and Compliance With Cardiovascular Drug Therapy Among Seniors (February 2015)
- Drug Use Among Seniors on Public Drug Programs in Canada, 2012 (May 2014)
- Brief to the Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology (Jan. 2014) (DOCX)
- Adverse Drug Reaction-Related Hospitalizations Among Seniors, 2006 to 2011 (Mar. 2013)
National Prescription Drug Utilization Information System Database
The National Prescription Drug Utilization Information System (NPDUIS) Database houses pan-Canadian information on public drug programs. The database includes the following data:
- Claims data — cost and payment information about prescribed drugs. This information is used to measure and analyze prescription drug use in Canada.
- Formulary data — information about which drugs are included in public drug programs in Canada.
- Drug product data — used to identify drug products in a standardized format.
- Plan data — an outline of the administrative policies of public drug plans or programs in Canada. This data may help explain differences in drug utilization patterns across the country.
Metadata is information about data. It helps users understand and interpret data from a specific source.
Find out more about NPDUIS Database data: