Home care is a rapidly growing and critical component of an effective health care system. In Canada, home care programs deliver a wide range of services, including
- Short-term care to those recovering from surgery or acute medical conditions
- Long-term care and support to allow people with chronic conditions to continue living in the community
- Other specialized programs, such as end-of-life care and rehabilitation
Home care is delivered in the community in private homes and residential care settings, as well as in hospitals and ambulatory clinics.
CIHI collects and reports on clinical, administrative and resource utilization data from publicly funded home care programs in Canada. We also collect information on transitions of home care clients to and from hospitals or emergency rooms.
We welcome your feedback and questions
- Contact us at email@example.com.
Have a data inquiry or research question? Make a custom data request.
Are you a RAI assessor or educator? Visit the Resources for Home Care interRAI Assessors page.
Home care information
Download any of these CIHI reports and analyses:
- Seniors and Alternate Level of Care: Building on Our Knowledge (Nov. 2012)
- Health Care in Canada, 2011: A Focus on Seniors and Aging (Nov. 2012)
- Caring for Seniors With Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Forms of Dementia (Aug. 2010)
- Supporting Informal Caregivers—The Heart of Home Care (Aug. 2010)
Home Care Reporting System
The Home Care Reporting System (HCRS) contains demographic, clinical, functional and resource utilization information on clients served by publicly funded home care programs in Canada.
The clinical data standards for HCRS were developed by interRAI, an international research network, and modified with its permission for Canadian use. The interRAI Resident Assessment Instrument—Home Care (RAI-HC)© is used to identify the preferences, needs and strengths of long-term home care clients. The interRAI Contact Assessment (interRAI CA)© captures a brief profile of all people served through screening or home care intake processes.
Client information is entered into a computer at the point of care. Real-time reports flag resident risks and inform care planning. The information then flows to CIHI. With no additional collection effort, evidence is available to guide care and system-wide planning as well as quality improvement.
Metadata is information about data. It helps users understand and interpret data from a specific source.
Find out more about the following data sources:
- Using the interRAI Assessment System (video)
- Following the Flow of Health Care Data (video)
- CIHI Home and Continuing Care Reporting Systems: Bringing evidence to support your decisions (video)
- The interRAI Contact Assessment: Supporting your community and emergency department decisions (video)
Other useful items from CIHI include information sheets, manuals and educational material.
Home care information sheets
- CIHI/interRAI Update: A new interRAI reporting system for CIHI (November 2016) (PDF)
- Understanding and Using interRAI Assessment Information (April 2016) (PDF)
- New Home Care Quality Indicators (PDF)
- CIHI/interRAI Update: Moving forward with the new interRAI suite (October 2015) (PDF)
- HCRS Overview (Jan. 2012) (PDF)
- interRAI Contact Assessment Overview (June 2012) (PDF)
- RAI-HC Decision-Support Tools for Clinicians and Managers (Feb. 2012) (PDF)
- HCRS and CCRS eReports (PDF)
Home care user manuals
- RAI–Home Care (RAI-HC) User’s Manual (includes assessment form) (Sep. 2010)
- interRAI Contact Assessment (CA) Assessment Form and User’s Manual
- interRAI Clinical Assessment Protocols (CAPs) Manual
- Associated documents
Home care specifications manuals
- Home Care Reporting System (HCRS) Data Submission Specifications Manual (Apr. 2016)
- Home Care Reporting System (HCRS) RAI-HC Output Specifications Manual (Apr, 2016)
- Home Care Reporting System-Contact Assessment (HCRS-CA) Data Submission Specifications Manual (Apr. 2016)
- Home Care Reporting System-Contact Assessment (HCRS-CA) Output Specifications Manual (Apr. 2016)
- Home Care Reporting System-Contact Assessment (HCRS-CA) Administrative Data Elements Coding Manual (Apr. 2016)
Home care education