Wait Time for Hip Fracture Surgery
- Hip fracture ICD-10-CA codes of S72.0, S72.1, S72.2 as MRDx and not also a diagnosis type (2); or
- Where another diagnosis is coded as MRDx and also a type (2), and a diagnosis of hip fracture is coded as a diagnosis type (1), (W), (X), (Y) and not also a diagnosis type (2); or
- Where convalescence or rehabilitation ICD-10-CA codes Z50.1, Z50.8, Z50.9, Z54.0, Z54.4, Z54.7, Z54.8, Z54.9 are coded as MRDx and hip fracture coded as diagnosis type (1), (W), (X), (Y) and not also a type (2).
- Criteria 1 (a,b,c) along with a relevant CCI procedure code1
- 1.VA.74.^^ - Fixation, hip joint
- 1.VA 53.^^ - Implantation of internal device, hip joint
- 1.VA.73.^^ - Reduction, hip joint
- 1.VC.74.^^ - Fixation, femur
- 1.SQ.53.^^ - Implantation of internal device, pelvis
- Age at admission 65 years and over
- Gender recorded as male or female
- Admission to an acute care institution
- Admission category recorded as emergent/urgentÂ
- Canadian resident
- Records with an invalid Health Card Number
- Records with an invalid date of birth
- Records with an invalid admission date
- Records with an invalid procedure date
- Discharged as self sign-out
- Records where hip fracture is coded as post admission diagnosis (diagnosis type (2))
- Hip fracture cases with no hip fracture surgery within the same fiscal year
- Patients with hip fracture admission within the last 2 weeks of the previous fiscal year.
- Admissions to hospital between March 15 and 31 (the last 2 weeks of the fiscal year) are excluded to allow for sufficient follow-up. (In 2005/06 data, 99 percent of hip fracture patients who underwent hip fracture surgery had their procedure done within two weeks.)
The numerator is a subset of the denominator according to one of two available definitions and represents the number of patients who underwent hip fracture surgery on the same/next day or the same/next/day after.
1 "Secondary diagnosis" refers to a diagnosis other than most responsible.