Integration and continuity of care relates to the many ways that care is provided and that patients flow through the health system.
CIHI provides a wealth of health services data. We are uniquely positioned to explain
- How different components of the health care system work together
- How well and how often patients transition between various services
By collecting data across many sectors of care, we are building a pan-Canadian view of continuity of care across sectors. This access to a multitude of data sources ensures that government bodies, hospitals, health authorities and other stakeholders have the information they need to provide high-quality services efficiently. CIHI's interest and work in this area are expanding.
Key reports and analyses
Databases and data sources
CIHI's many databases are used to calculate our large number of clinical, financial and other indicators across the health system and for populations. Our databases include
- Discharge Abstract Database (DAD)
- Hospital Morbidity Database (HMDB)
- National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS)
- National Physician Database (NPDB)
- National Health Expenditure Database (NHEX)