We have compiled the following frequently asked questions and answers to help users with eDAD (electronic Discharge Abstract Database) Reports. Topics include the following:
- How do I get permission to access eDAD Reports if I’m not a current user?
- How timely and up to date are eDAD Reports?
- What do eDAD Reports offer?
- What is an eCHAP peer group?
- Why do some reports generate less quickly than others?
- Can I generate more than 1 report at the same time?
- Can I clear my history list?
- Can I save my prompt selections?
- Can I save prompted and static reports?
- Can I save reports in a shared folder so that other eDAD users can access them?
- Can I save reports in a folder that only I have access to?
- Output/Printing Options
- I want to present my reports at a meeting. Can I print or export the generated reports?
- Populations of Interest and Peer Groups
- What is the population of interest?
- Can I compare my hospital’s performance and resource utilization with that of others?
- What peer groupings are available in eDAD?
- I work for a multi-site organization. Are there any reports that allow me to select more than 1 facility to report on so that I can include all of my sites in the same report?
- Report Details
- Where can I find details about inclusion/exclusion criteria and indicator calculations for each report?
- Troubleshooting Tips
- I’m trying to generate a Flexible/Custom Report and I keep getting a message stating “No Results Returned.” How can I reframe my report criteria to generate results?
If you have any questions, concerns or comments, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I get permission to access eDAD Reports if I’m not a current user?
- All Core Plan members can request access to CIHI’s services online.
- Please note that CIHI Portal users are automatically granted access to eDAD Reports.
How timely and up to date are eDAD Reports?
- The data is refreshed monthly. Data submitted by the submission deadline will be reflected in updated reports available on the 15th business day of each month.
- The annual schedule is available on the Updates page.
- Note that new fiscal year data is available annually beginning in June of that fiscal year.
What do eDAD Reports offer?
Additional information on eDAD reports can be found in the eDAD Information Sheet, or you can also access our recorded educational web conference eDAD: An Essential Tool in Decision-Making through the Learning Centre.
- eDAD Reports
- Answer key business questions on your inpatient and day surgery data;
- Enable meaningful comparisons with peers and other jurisdictions across the country;
- Illustrate trends and variations over time; and
- Include resource utilization and outcome data that can be used to improve patient care and quality as well as to support efficiency initiatives.
What is an eCHAP peer group?
- eCHAP (electronic Comparison of Hospital Activity Program) peer groups are based on the number of beds or on a facility’s teaching/pediatric designated status, as identified by the facility:
- Peer group 0 (1 to 49 beds)
- Peer group 1 (50 to 99 beds)
- Peer group 2 (100 to 199 beds)
- Peer group 3 (200 to 399 beds)
- Peer group 4 (400+ beds, non-teaching)
- Peer group 5 (teaching)
- Peer group 6 (pediatric)
For more information on peer groups in eDAD, see What peer groups are available in eDAD?
Why do some reports generate less quickly than others?
- The run time of the reports depends on the type and complexity of the report, as well as user activity at specific times of the day. For example, if you are running a Flexible/Custom Report during peak hours with many metrics and years of data, the report may take longer to generate than a Quick View Report that narrows the scope of the data.
- To generate the report more quickly, it is recommended that you limit the fiscal years selected in your report.
- To maintain proper functionality within the eReporting tool, you should limit your history list to no more than 50 items (see below for how to clear your history list).
- The Clinical Administrative Databases (CAD) program area proactively monitors and tracks the performance of reports. We also encourage user feedback. If you experience performance issues with eDAD Reports, please let us know at email@example.com.
Can I generate more than 1 report at the same time?
- Yes, you can generate multiple reports at the same time. All reports are saved to your personal history list, where you can check run status and access previously generated reports.
Can I clear my history list?
- Yes, you can access and clear individual reports from your history by checking the delete box next to the report and clicking delete.
Can I save my prompt selections?
- Yes, you can save your selections by checking Save this answer when report is run. This will auto-populate the prompt selection box for future reports so that you don’t have to make the same selections every time you generate a report.
Can I save prompted and static reports?
- You can also save reports with or without prompts. To save static reports (with no prompts) simply uncheck the option Keep report prompted at the bottom of the Save As window when saving a report. If you leave the box checked, you will have the ability to adjust all prompt selections when regenerating your saved report.
Can I save reports in a shared folder so that other eDAD users can access them?
- Yes, saving reports in the Shared Reports folders allows all other eDAD users to access them.
- For additional information regarding Shared Reports, please refer to the Quick Reference Guide: Accessing eDAD Shared Reports.
Can I save prompted and static reports?
- Yes, saving reports in the My Reports folder means that only you will be able to access them.
I want to present my reports at a meeting. Can I print or export the generated reports?
- You can export eDAD reports into PDF, CSV, Excel, HTML or plain text formats. Printing and exporting can be done using the appropriate export and print icons in the Home tab (see below).
You can also make your choice using the drop-down menu in the Home tab (at left).
Due to the nature of Dashboard Reports, exporting to Excel is not an option.
If you encounter an exporting issue, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the population of interest?
- All eDAD Reports require you to complete the Population of Interest prompt. This allows you to choose a province, region, facility or peer group as the focus for your report. For details about customizing your report, including examples, please refer to the eDAD Standard and Customized Peer Grouping Toolkit.
Can I compare my hospital’s performance and resource utilization with that of others?
- In eDAD reports, you can select your population using the Filter by Institution prompt and then choosing an entire province or certain regions, peer groups, etc. Using the Select Attributes prompt, you can define how you want the results sorted so that you can compare your facility, region, province, etc., with others. In other words, you can select an entire province and break it down by region to see how your region compares with all of the others in your province.
What peer groups are available in eDAD?
- Standard acute hospital peer groups as well as the eCHAP peer groups are available in eDAD. The purpose of assigning hospitals to a peer group is to facilitate standard comparisons by categorizing facilities that have similar structural and patient characteristics.
- Clients can also create their own peer groups. Please refer to the eDAD Standard and Customized Peer Grouping Toolkit for information on peer groups.
I work for a multi-site organization. Are there any reports that allow me to select more than 1 facility to report on so that I can include all of my sites in the same report?
- You can use the Flexible/Custom Reports to select a custom peer group. Please refer to the eDAD Standard and Customized Peer Grouping Toolkit
Where can I find details about inclusion/exclusion criteria and indicator calculations for each report?
- Visit the eDAD Support page for the eDAD Toolkit, including
- Length of Stay Summary by Hospital
- Resource Indicators
- Inpatient/Day Surgery Comparison
- Alternate Level of Care Profile
- Length of Stay Summary by Catchment Area
I’m trying to generate a Flexible/Custom Report and I keep getting a message stating “No Results Returned.” How can I reframe my report criteria to generate results?
- Review your prompt selections, as too many filters may have been applied to the data. A common issue is mixing up the filter and attributes prompts. The items you select in the filter prompt will limit the data returned in your report, whereas the attributes prompt will identify the way you would like the data sorted.
- Additionally, be aware that if you select specific Case Mix Groups (CMGs) or major clinical categories (MCCs), they must match the grouping methodology that you have selected for your report. CMGs and MCCs for both methodology years are included in the Select Additional Filters prompt
For example, say you wish to generate a report that includes Length of Stay by Catchment area for pediatric hospitals and you would like the data broken down by fiscal year. You would also like to compare the discharged patient data by Discharge Disposition. In this case, you would select the Discharge Disposition in the attributes prompt rather than the filter prompt.
For information on how to generate reports, visit the eDAD Support page.