Community care is delivered in private homes, retirement communities, residential or long-term care homes and community clinics.
Community care programs are designed to
- Help people maintain optimal health and function
- Prevent or delay admissions to hospitals
- Support hospital discharge and follow-up
CIHI collects information about community care services in Canada. We also set Canadian data and information standards to ensure that community care information is comparable across the country.
CIHI provides essential community care data and analysis to all stakeholders, including care providers, system managers, policy-makers and the public.
Community care information
Home care programs provide assessment, case management, health and personal support services to people with diverse care needs.
Residential care provides living options in community-based facilities for those who need different levels of support to optimize independence.
Key reports and analyses
Are you a home care or continuing care clinician, manager or policy-maker?
Watch our videos and discover how CIHI supports your decision-making:
- CIHI Home and Continuing Care Reporting Systems: Bringing evidence to support your decisions (video)
- The interRAI Contact Assessment: Supporting your community and emergency department decisions (video)
- CIHI Data Helps Battle Depression (video)
- CIHI Data Helps Put Philosophy Into Practice (video)
- CIHI Data Helps Change Practice (video)