Welcome to CIHI’s Leave site. Here you will find all the information you are looking for both prior to going on leave and while you are off.
- Employment Insurance Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Adding Baby to your Benefits
- Policies and Procedures Documents
- Contacts (HR / Pay and Benefits)
If your questions are not answered here please don’t hesitate to contact either the HR Services or Pay and Benefits team.
Prior to going on leave be sure to consider the following items:
- Paperwork: Please complete the Pregnancy and Parental Leave Depature Form and Leave Agreement and return to your HR Generalist 6 weeks prior to your leave. If you are continuing to contribute to your pension while on leave you will need to provide post-dated cheques to Pay and Benefits as per the amount outlined in your HOOPP Periods of Leave form that will be provided to you. Please contact your HR Generalist if anything changes and once the baby arrives for maternity and parental leave.
- Epost: Update your e-mail address on your epost account to be sure that you can access your pay stubs and tax forms while on leave.
- Parking: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to cancel your parking pass while on leave. Please return your parking pass to reception on your last day.
- Employment Insurance: Apply for EI through Service Canada or QPIP. In order for your top-up to be calculated and your first CIHI pay to be made while on leave, you must forward a copy of your first EI or QPIP statement (screenshot is sufficient) to Pay and Benefits at PayandBenefits@cihi.ca within four weeks.
- PMP: Close off on your PMP with your Supervisor/Manager prior to your leave.
- Benefits: Your Opti-plan benefits will continue during your legislated leave however any amounts that are currently paid by you through payroll deductions must be paid by post-dated cheques. Please provide these cheques to Pay & Benefits prior to your departure. Log on to GWL prior to leaving CIHI to ensure you remember your password and update your e-mail address, if necessary, in order to make claims while you are off.
- Agresso Leave Request: Please complete leave requests for any vacation prior to going off. Any vacation taken after your leave will need to be entered upon your return. As per CIHI's Leave policy, you will not be able to carry over more than 10 days upon your return to work.
- Access to Job Postings: Save this link if you wish to access internal job postings while on leave:
Maternity and Parental Leave:
EI maternity benefits are offered to eligible biological mothers, including surrogate mothers, who cannot work because they are pregnant or have recently given birth.
EI parental benefits are offered to eligible parents who are caring for a newborn or newly adopted child or children.
Information regarding who is eligible and how to apply can be found through the Service Canada website.
Please note that the Province of Quebec is responsible for providing maternity, paternity, parental, and adoption benefits to residents of Quebec through a program called the Quebec Parental Insurance Program.
A Record of Employment (ROE), which you will need for Employment Insurance purposes, will be prepared for you by the Payroll department. It is sent electronically to Service Canada within one week following your last regular pay.
In order for your top-up to be calculated and your first CIHI pay to be made while on leave, you must forward a copy of your first EI or QPIP statement (screenshot is sufficient) to Pay and Benefits at PayandBenefits@cihi.ca within four weeks.
The provincial Employment Standards Act details a number of statutory leaves for employees. A complete list can be found on the Ontario Government site. You can also speak with your HR Generalist for more information.
When will I receive my Record of Employment (ROE)?
Record of Employment (ROE), which you will need for Employment Insurance purposes, will be prepared for you by the Payroll department. It is sent electronically to Service Canada by Pay and Benefits within one week following your last regular pay.
How can I access internal job postings while on leave?
Use this link to access internal jobs while on leave.
Can I apply for a job while on leave?
Yes, you are entitled to apply for positions while on leave. Use this link to access internal job postings from home:
If I am on leave during the time when T-4’s are produced how will I access it?
T-4’s are sent to all employees via your e-post account.
How long do I have to add my baby to my benefits?
Any family status change, including a new dependent, must be completed within 31 days of the change. You can make this change through the Great West Life Flex Benefits website
Can I return from leave with more than 10 days of vacation in my bank?
Employees are encouraged to take their vacation leave prior to their pregnancy/parental leave and must take any vacation in excess of the allowable 10-day carryover before returning from leave.
Will I still be eligible for a performance increase even though I’m on leave?
Employees in pay grades 5-7- who begin a paid leave after October 1st or who are returning from a leave prior to September 30th of the current fiscal year are eligible.
Employees in pay grades 1-4 who begin a paid leave after January 1st or who are returning from a leave prior to December 31st of the current fiscal year are eligible.
If you are eligible for PMP any increases will be paid when you return to work, as outlined in the memo you will recieve by epost.
What do I do if I want to return to work earlier or later than my current return date?
In this case, please contact your Manager and HR Generalist to discuss.
How will I know what organizational changes were made during my leave?
If you have been away from CIHI on a longer term leave, HR will meet with you on your first day back in order to ensure a successful reintegration to the workplace. We will discuss any high-level organizational changes that have taken place during your absence as well as to confirm which mandatory courses you are to complete within your first few days back.
I work from home a few times a week and have CIHI-issued IT equipment at home. Does it have to be returned prior to my leave?
Yes. Please be sure to bring in all IT equipment that you have at home prior to your last day.
It is my last day. Do I need to bring my IT equipment somewhere? What happens to my security access card? What about my CIHI-issued credit card?
Please return your IT equipment to your manager. Your security access card should be returned to Reception or your manager and your credit card should go to your manager or Finance
Adding your baby to your benefits
Follow the below steps to add a new dependent to your benefits:
1. Use your internet browser to log into the Great West Life Flex Benefits website. Benefit selections can be completed at home or anywhere you have access to the Internet.
2. Enter your login ID and Password. Please note that your login ID and password instructions are located at the bottom of the page.
3. Click on “Life Event Change” on the left side of the screen. This will prompt you for a date for the life event (enter your child’s date of birth). Any family status change must be completed within 31 days of the change.
4. The next screen will ask to confirm the type of life event – i.e. birth of a child
5. After reading the disclaimer, click on “I Agree” to continue.
6. Review and make changes to your dependent information.
7. Review and make your benefit selections, including allocating any leftover flex credits and reviewing and changing beneficiary designation.
8. “Confirm” your benefit selections online and print any required documents.
9. If you have made any beneficiary changes, please return the signed form to your HR Generalist.
Login ID – is the 5 digit employee number, i.e. 99999
Password – you would have selected a personal password during re-enrolment. If you do not remember it, please select “forgot password”.
Please note that if you are having trouble accessing the website to complete your changes please contact Great West Life at 1-866-656-5120 for assistance