For 2018–2019, we've responded to feedback and reduced the number of resources that our clients need to refer to. The result is a streamlining of Classifications and Terminologies products and services.
As such, some education courses will be updated to comply with version 2018, while others will be either retired or moved to a reference material format. No pertinent content will be lost due to the retirement of products — it has been incorporated into the Canadian Coding Standards for Version 2018 ICD-10-CA and CCI, released in February 2018.
Over the years, the classifications have been enhanced, such that the alphabetical index and the instructional notes more clearly direct users to the correct code. The coding standards have also been further developed and/or amended to provide clear direction and examples that demonstrate the application of the directive statements.
Here are the highlights of the education refresh that will take effect in 2018–2019:
We’ve retired products that focused on content that has been addressed in either the classifications or the coding standards and that had low enrolment rates.
The following education products were retired as of March 31, 2018, and are no longer available in CIHI's Learning Centre:
- Staying on Track With Sepsis and Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS)
- Staying on Track With Prefix 8 for Palliative Care
- Staying on Track With Cardiac Interventions
- Staying on Track With Bariatric Surgery
- Staying on Track With Epilepsy
- Post-Intervention Events — Prefix 5/6 Assignment
- Coding Flaps and Grafts of Skin and Soft Tissue
- Acute Coronary Syndrome: Understanding the Spectrum — Part 1
- Acute Coronary Syndrome — Part 2
- Coding for Diabetes series (total of 8 products, including a final assessment)
Products that were considered reference material rather than education products have been removed from CIHI's Learning Centre. They were updated and are available on the Codes and Classifications web page as coding reference guides.
The following education products were released as reference materials and are no longer available in CIHI's Learning Centre:
- Obstetrical Coding — Moving Beyond the Basics
- CCI: A Guide to Intervention Code Assignment
Some products have been updated and made available in a new format to better meet the needs of our clients:
- Trending and ICD-10-CA/CCI
- A more comprehensive product for analysts who use this content as a foundation has been developed. This product, titled Using ICD-10-CA/CCI: What Every Analyst Needs to Know, will be available for registration in CIHI's Learning Centre in mid/late April 2018.
- iCODE Case Study series (total of 4 products)
- Content has been consolidated into a single bundle: learners can register once and take whichever case study or studies they are interested in. This product is available for registration in CIHI's Learning Centre.
- Search Techniques for ICD-10-CA/CCI Using Folio Views
- This course has been reformatted and included in Folio Views for version 2018 ICD-10-CA and CCI.
Updated Classifications courses for v2018
Classifications courses have been streamlined for 2018–2019. The list below indicates which courses have been updated as of April 2018 to reflect v2018 changes to the ICD-10-CA/CCI classifications and/or coding standards. New courses will be added throughout the year; visit CIHI's Learning Centre for the most up-to-date list.
|87E — Applied Diagnosis Types and Main/Other Problem AssignmentNote: course is not applicable in Quebec.||No significant revisions||Available|
|91E — Knee Joint Replacement||Significant revisions||Available|
|96E — Classifying Post-Intervention Conditions: ICD-10-CA Code Assignment||No significant revisions||Available|
|309E — Different Codes for Different Strokes||No revisions||Available|
|379E — Emergency Department Coding: Getting Your Diagnosis Codes RightNote: course is not applicable in Quebec.||Significant revisions||Available|
|606E — Exploring the Lower GI Tract With CCI||No significant revisions||Available|
|832E — Acute on Chronic Kidney Disease||No significant revisions||Available|
|853E — Hip Joint Replacement||Significant revisions||Available|
|955E — Moving Forward Using v2018 of ICD-10-CA and CCI||New||Available|
|956E — What’s New for Classifications and Terminologies v2018? (recorded web conference)||New||Available|
|5001E — Practice With iCODE||New (Learning bundle)||Available in 5001E|
|982E — Introduction to the iCODE Strategy (iCODE strategy information was previously embedded in case studies)||New||Available in 5001E|
|307E — iCODE Case Study: Sepsis/Pneumonia/COPD||No significant revisions||Available in 5001E|
|459E — iCODE Case Study: Pathological Periprosthetic Fracture and Post-Operative Low Hemoglobin||No significant revisions||Available in 5001E|
|539E — iCODE Case Study: Multiple Post-Intervention Conditions||No significant revisions||Available in 5001E|
|605E — iCODE Case Study: Metastatic Breast Cancer||No significant revisions||Available in 5001E|
* Course is not applicable in Quebec.
- No revision:
- The content was reviewed and no updates were made.
- No significant revisions:
- Minor revisions were made where applicable to comply with the new versions of the coding standards and classifications.
- Significant revisions:
- Significant revisions were made to the course due to changes in the classifications or coding standards for v2018.
For a current listing of all CIHI’s Classifications courses, please visit CIHI’s Learning Centre.
If you need assistance registering for a course, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.