For 2018–2019, we've responded to feedback and reduced the number of resources that our clients need to refer to. The result is a streamlining of Classifications and Terminologies products and services.
As such, some education courses will be updated to comply with version 2018, while others will be either retired or moved to a reference material format. No pertinent content will be lost due to the retirement of products — it has been incorporated into the Canadian Coding Standards for Version 2018 ICD-10-CA and CCI, which will be released in February 2018.
Over the years, the classifications have been enhanced, such that the alphabetical index and the instructional notes more clearly direct users to the correct code. The coding standards have also been further developed and/or amended to provide clear direction and examples that demonstrate the application of the directive statements.
Here are the highlights of the education refresh that will take effect in 2018–2019:
We will retire products that focused on content that has been addressed in either the classifications or the coding standards and that had low enrolment rates.
The following education products will be retired as of March 31, 2018, and will no longer be available in CIHI's Learning Centre:
- Staying on Track With Sepsis and Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS)
- Staying on Track With Prefix 8 for Palliative Care
- Staying on Track With Cardiac Interventions
- Staying on Track With Bariatric Surgery
- Staying on Track With Epilepsy
- Post-Intervention Events — Prefix 5/6 Assignment
- Coding Flaps and Grafts of Skin and Soft Tissue
- Acute Coronary Syndrome: Understanding the Spectrum — Part 1
- Acute Coronary Syndrome — Part 2
- Coding for Diabetes series (total of 8 products, including a final assessment)
Products that are considered reference material rather than education products will be removed from CIHI's Learning Centre. They will be updated and made available on the Codes and Classifications web page as coding reference guides in April 2018.
The following education products will be released as reference materials and will no longer be available in CIHI's Learning Centre:
- Obstetrical Coding — Moving Beyond the Basics
- CCI: A Guide to Intervention Code Assignment
Updated to v2018 and released in new format
Other products will be updated and made available in a new format to better meet the needs of our clients:
- Trending and ICD-10-CA/CCI
- A more comprehensive product for analysts who use this content as a foundation will be released. This product will be available for registration in CIHI's Learning Centre in April 2018.
- iCODE Case Study series (total of 4 products)
- Content will be consolidated into a single bundle: learners can register once and take whichever case study or studies they are interested in. This product will be available for registration in CIHI's Learning Centre in April 2018.
- Search Techniques for ICD-10-CA/CCI Using Folio Views
- This course has been reformatted and included in Folio Views for version 2018 ICD-10-CA and CCI.
Updated to v2018 and released in same format
All other existing education products available in CIHI's Learning Centre will be updated to comply with v2018 and will be available for registration in April 2018.