The CIHI Portal team is pleased to announce the successful completion of Release 13.2. The highlights of this release include the following:
- New 2017–2018 Q4 National Rehabilitation Reporting System (NRS) data
NRS environment update
- Updated NRS data: 2017–2018
NRS data for Q4 of 2017–2018 is now available for both ad hoc reporting and the NRS eReports within CIHI Portal.
- Open-year data: The NRS contains open-year data only; this means that revisions to previously submitted NRS data may be made at any time.
- FIM® instrument: The NRS data set contains clinical data on functional status based on the 18-item FIM® instrument. The FIM® instrument is used to measure outcomes of functional independence at admission and discharge, and optionally on follow-up after discharge. It has 18 items (13 motor items and 5 cognitive items) that are rated on a 7-level scale representing gradations from independent (7) to dependent (1) function; the overall maximum possible score is 126 (18 items multiplied by 7). The FIM® instrument measures disability and looks at caregiver burden associated with level of disability. The overall FIM® instrument score can be broken down into motor and cognitive subscales to provide further details to identify areas of functional loss.
- The 18-item FIM® instrument is the property of the Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation, a division of UB Foundation Activities, Inc.
- Coding/classification: Diagnostic information is available in the NRS for data years 2008–2009 onward. This information is based on the ICD-10-CA and CCI classification systems. It is important to note that NRS assessors can use a pick-list to select from approximately 2,000 ICD-10-CA and 100 CCI codes. The different diagnosis and procedure attributes available are detailed in the NRS data dictionary.