This bulletin outlines key dates for the Discharge Abstract Database (DAD) and the National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS):
- 2018–2019 submission deadlines
- 2019–2020 vendor testing requirements
- 2019–2020 facility testing requirements
- 2019–2020 Outstanding Hard Error and Rejected Records reports release schedule
DAD and NACRS submission deadlines for 2018–2019 adjusted to June 30, 2019 (final deadline)*
*Change not applicable to Ontario
During consultations to inform CIHI’s current strategic plan, stakeholders identified having more timely and relevant data as a priority. In response, CIHI worked with jurisdictions to successfully achieve an earlier (i.e., June 30) closure for DAD and NACRS data submissions 2 years in a row, beginning in 2016–2017. In addition, several jurisdictions were able to complete their DAD and NACRS data submissions by May 31, 2018, for the 2017–2018 data year, which aligns with Ontario’s deadlines.
Inspired by this progress, we further advanced the 2018–2019 final deadline to May 31, 2019 (1 month earlier than in the previous 2 years). However, based on open-year data submission monitoring and challenges raised by a few data submitters, we now know that not all sites will be able to meet the new May 31 deadline. Given the importance of ensuring data completeness across Canada, CIHI has decided to revert to June 30, 2019, as the final deadline for 2018–2019 DAD and NACRS submissions. (Note: Ontario continues to have May 31, 2019, as its ministry-mandated deadline.) All data submitters are encouraged to try to meet the target deadline of May 31, 2019, in preparation for when this becomes the final deadline in a future year.
While May 31, 2019, remains an important target to achieve more timely and relevant data for our stakeholders, CIHI also wants to ensure that the completeness and quality of the data we receive remains a top priority. As such, the DAD and NACRS submission deadlines for the current fiscal year (2018–2019) will now be as follows:
- Target submission deadline for DAD/NACRS: May 31, 2019
- Final submission deadline for DAD/NACRS: June 30, 2019*
* The final submission deadline for DAD/NACRS in Ontario remains May 31, 2019
DAD and NACRS 2019–2020 vendor testing requirements
- Your facility’s test data will not be accepted until your vendor has successfully completed testing.
- Vendor testing results are available on CIHI’s website.
DAD and NACRS 2019–2020 facility testing requirements
- Only facilities that have changed vendors, have undergone major system changes or are newly reporting to the DAD and/or NACRS in 2019–2020 are required to complete facility testing. For more information, please refer to the 2019–2020 DAD and NACRS Submission Manual (available in CIHI’s eStore) and the new facility testing job aid, both accessible through the DAD/NACRS Abstracting Manual application on CIHI’s website.
Note: The testing process for facilities in Manitoba and Alberta is coordinated through the provincial department/ministry of health.
- Existing DAD and NACRS submitting facilities that do not fall into any of the categories above are not required to complete facility testing in 2019–2020. Once your vendor has successfully completed vendor testing, you may proceed with submitting the DAD IF and/or NACRS FIF, followed by facility data, to the Live environment after April 1, 2019.