After holding extensive consultations with stakeholders held across the country to better understand their needs, both now and in the future, CIHI has completed its Strategic Plan, 2016 to 2021.
What’s the same?
We have reflected on who we are and our unique role in Canada’s health sector, and we continue to believe that better data contributes to better decisions, ultimately improving the health of Canadians.
Building on our 20-plus years of success and experience, we will enrich CIHI’s information infrastructure to better leverage open data principles and technology.
We will transform our digital presence to make sure that our data and information are more accessible, and easier to use, interpret and share. This will allow us to more easily adapt to our stakeholders’ specific needs through customized products and services that are pertinent and relevant.
As part of the strategic plan, CIHI is making a formal commitment to our stakeholders to ensure that their needs are at the core of everything we do. As we go about implementing our plan over the next 5 years, we will
- Listen and adapt to our stakeholders’ changing needs
- Deliver valuable and relevant products and services to support them in their work
- Make it easier to work with us
Here are our new strategic goals:
- Be a trusted source of standards and quality data
- Expand analytical tools to support measurement of health systems
- Produce actionable analysis and accelerate its adoption
And here’s our renewed mandate:
Deliver comparable and actionable information to accelerate improvements in health care, health system performance and population health across the continuum of care
This renewed mandate highlights the importance of responding to stakeholder needs quickly with innovative tools and approaches.
Building on our core strengths
- Identifying health information needs and priorities
- Coordinating and promoting standards and data quality
- Developing and managing health system databases and registries
- Developing comparable measures of health system performance
- Conducting analyses in the areas of population health and health services
- Building capacity and conducting education sessions
What lies ahead
Over the next 5 years, CIHI will focus its efforts on influencing and improving Canada’s health systems, guided by 4 key themes and 4 key populations that our stakeholders told us were important.
The priority themes are
- Patient experience
- Quality and safety
- Value for money
We will focus on a number of vulnerable populations, including
- Recipients of mental health and addictions services
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis
- Children and youth
Continuing the conversation
The conversations we started in the public consultations will continue as we work toward our goals to ensure that the voices of our stakeholders are reflected in our work from the beginning.
We look forward to working with our stakeholders as we take action on our new strategic plan.
CIHI will monitor and publicly report on our progress through a performance measurement strategy.