Improving health care in Canada depends on using better data to make better decisions. Individuals throughout Canada’s health care system—including chief executive officers, health ministers, policy-makers and analysts—use our data to support their decisions and lead change.
Preparing for the future: Electronic records
The conversion of Canada’s fragmented, paper-based clinical systems to electronic records creates a unique opportunity for new and richer sources of information to inform decisions about health and health systems. After consulting with health leaders across the country, CIHI and Canada Health Infoway delivered a shared vision for the safe and effective health system use of electronic data to the Conference of Deputy Ministers of Health. See what we are envisioning:
- Better Information for Improved Health: A Vision for Health System Use of Data in Canada (2013) (PDF)
- Summary (2013) (PDF)
Learn what Canadians think of electronic records and health system use of data:
- Survey of Public Opinions About Electronic Health Records and Health System Use of Data: 2012 (PPTX)
To learn more about developing and implementing national standards to enhance the consistency and accuracy of Canadian health care information, including that captured in EMRs, see our work on standards.
Sharing ideas at the e-Health 2014 pre-conference symposium
International and Canadian experts discussed how they are making better use of digital health information to shape quality, safety and efficiency in their health systems. Listen in as a few of the experts talk about success in their health settings:
- Dr. Louise Schaper discusses Australia’s approach (video)
- Dr. Bill Clifford highlights progress in EMR use (video)
- Dr. John Hirdes showcases data use in long-term care (video)
Supporting the flow of data along the health care continuum
- Following the Flow of Health Care Data: A Home Care Example (video)
- Learn more about how CIHI supports the flow of data through its tools, products and reporting systems (PDF)
Electronic health data: Local stories
A number of local initiatives have begun to leverage electronic health data to better support health system decision-making. Read about the tangible benefits to patients, clinicians and the health system in these success stories:
- Higher-quality primary care: Building a Strong Foundation: Improving Primary Health Care Delivery in Canada (2013) (PDF)
- Shorter hospital stays through better patient flow: Informing Decisions: Data Improves Rehabilitation Services in Canada (2013) (PDF)
- Support for Canada’s seniors: From Clinician to Cabinet: The Use of Health Information Across the Continuum (2012) (PDF)
- The Resource Matching and Referral Program: Better Data, Better Decisions: Supporting More Efficient and Appropriate Care (2012) (PDF)
Our data in action
Land—CIHI’s corporate e-newsletter features stories about the difference CIHI data makes. Visit our data in action archives to read stories about how people like you use data to make a difference and help improve the health of Canadians every day. Subscribe to Land.
Watch these videos for more examples of how our data made a difference:
- Data helps put philosophy into practice and leads to a 40% reduction in restraint use in this nursing home
- Patient costing helps capture the full cost of hospital services
- CIHI data helps battle depression and improve quality of life for elderly patients
Want to re-tell one of our stories?