This year, we celebrate our 20th anniversary!
CIHI opened its doors for business in February 1994. Since that time, we have grown from 112 employees in Ottawa and Toronto to more than 700 across the country. We have expanded from 3 to 27 databases that hold data and information on various aspects of the health system.
Today, CIHI is a trusted organization that plays a leadership role in the development and coordination of a common approach for health information in Canada. This includes
- Developing standards and methodologies
- Creating and maintaining databases that hold reliable and comparable data
- Promoting improved understanding and use of health information in a way that ensures the privacy of Canadians
As part of our anniversary celebrations, we have created a 20-year timeline poster. We invite you to take a look at our milestones and achievements, some of which include
- The Wilk report (1989)
- CIHI’s first website (1996)
- The first Maclean’s Health Report (1998)
- CIHI’s first Health Care in Canada report (2000)
We would like to thank you, our stakeholders, for your support and collaboration in helping us achieve 20 years of delivering better data, better decisions and healthier Canadians.