What we do
CIHI is an independent, not-for-profit organization that provides essential information on Canada’s health system and the health of Canadians. Our stakeholders use our broad range of health databases, measurements and standards, together with our evidence-based reports and analyses, in their day-to-day decision-making. We protect the privacy of Canadians by ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of our health care information.
Our core values
- Created in 1994 to forge a common approach to Canadian health information
- Our vision: Better data. Better decisions. Healthier Canadians.
- 28 pan-Canadian databases across health sectors
- ISO/IEC 27001:2005 certification for information security management
Our data helps...
- Long-term care facilities reduce the use of antipsychotic meds for seniors
- Parliamentary committees better understand eating disorders in women and girls
- Hospitals rethink traditional models of care for homeless people
- The health system shed light on organ donation
- Policy-makers and clinicians better understand which medical devices work best for which patients
- Our partners in the health system address a growing cause of injury among seniors