The Canadian Patient Experiences Survey on Inpatient Care (CPES-IC) (PDF) is a standardized survey patients use to provide feedback about the quality of care they received during their most recent stay in a Canadian acute care hospital.
This tool helps hospitals assess patients’ experiences with care. It can support quality improvements, and provide a platform for national comparisons and benchmarking for the measurement of patient experience.
The bilingual survey has been endorsed by Accreditation Canada and meets the accreditation requirements for patient experience surveying. It includes
- 22 items from the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) survey
- 19 questions that address key areas relevant to the Canadian context (e.g., discharge, transitions)
- 7 questions to collect demographic information
Learn more about the development of the survey External link, opens in new window.
Administering the survey
The survey is non-proprietary and is not tied to a specific vendor, so jurisdictions can work with their preferred vendor to implement it.
CIHI provides standards and supporting documentation for those who administer the survey.
The Canadian Patient Experiences Survey on Inpatient Care: Procedure Manual (PDF) provides guidelines to administer the CPES-IC in the field and outlines information about population sampling methods and surveying modes.
If you have questions related to the survey, please email email@example.com.
- Canadian Patient Experiences Survey — Inpatient Care: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Canadian Patient Experiences Survey — Inpatient Care: Patient-Reported Experience Measures (PDF)
- Canadian Patient Experiences Survey on Inpatient Care: Procedure Manual Education Session (PDF)
- Canadian Patient Experiences Survey on Inpatient Care: Sampling Protocol (PDF)
- Patient-Centred Measurement Resource Toolkit: Translating Patient-Centred Measurement Into Action (PDF)
- Patient-Centred Measurement and Reporting in Canada: Launching the Discussion Toward a Future State (PDF)