Mental illness and addictions affect many Canadians at some point in their lifetime. They impact families, communities, employment opportunities and care systems. CIHI provides data and information to guide decisions on clinical care, system management and policy related to mental health and addictions.
Making a difference in the mental health and addictions sector
CIHI collaborates with federal, provincial/territorial, regional and other stakeholders to identify and address mental health and addictions information needs and priorities. We support the development, reporting and use of timely and comparable data related to mental health and addictions issues.
- Pan-Canadian data on opioid-related harms is an important part of the public health sector’s response to the opioid crisis. CIHI is committed to supporting data standards work and to providing key data through a variety of reports and programs related to opioids in Canada.
- CIHI is working with the federal and provincial/territorial governments to select and develop a set of pan-Canadian indicators that focus on measuring access to mental health and addictions services and to home and community care.
CIHI supports the implementation and use of comprehensive and standardized clinical assessments in mental health and addictions care. The assessments are part of a suite of interRAI tools, including the Resident Assessment Instrument–Mental Health (RAI-MH©) for inpatient mental health care and the interRAI Community Mental Health (interRAI CMH©) for community-based care. Information is created in the assessment process that contributes to clinical care planning and system-level decision-making.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a data inquiry or research question? Make a custom data request.
Information on mental health and addictions
CIHI manages 2 databases that are dedicated to inpatient mental health and addictions services: the Hospital Mental Health Database (HMHDB) and the Ontario Mental Health Reporting System (OMHRS).
The HMHDB is a pan-Canadian database that includes demographic, administrative and diagnosis information. The HMHDB integrates information from multiple CIHI data sources to focus on hospitalizations with a main diagnosis of mental illness or addiction.
OMHRS contains comprehensive information on individuals who receive inpatient mental health services in selected provinces. OMHRS data is derived from clinical assessments based on the RAI-MH.
Many of CIHI’s other data holdings contain data relevant to mental health and addictions, such as information about the health workforce, pharmaceuticals and spending.
Explore the mental health and addictions information found in each data holding.
- Health professionals express concerns over rates of youth hospitalizations due to substance use (Sep 2019)
- Hospital Stays for Harm Caused by Substance Use Among Youth Age 10 to 24, September 2019 (PDF)
- Health System Resources for Mental Health and Addictions Care in Canada (Jul 2019) (PDF)
- Dementia in Canada (Jun 2018)
- Care for Children and Youth With Mental Disorders (May 2018)
- Opioid Prescribing in Canada: How Are Practices Changing? (Oct 2019) (PDF)
- Opioid-Related Harms in Canada (Dec 2018)
- Community Mental Health and Addiction Information: A Snapshot of Data Collection and Reporting in Canada (Mar 2017)
- Inpatient Mental Health in Ontario: A Focus on Caring for Seniors (Oct 2015)
- Self-harm and assault: A closer look at children and youth (Nov 2014)
CIHI reports on a number of indicators related to mental health and addictions. Results are available publicly from the following links, and methodological notes are available in the Indicator Library.
Your Health System: In Brief
- Repeat Hospital Stays for Mental Illness
- Potentially Inappropriate Medication in Long-Term Care
- Hospitalizations Entirely Caused by Alcohol
Health Indicators e-Publication
- 30-Day Readmission for Mental Illness
- Self-Injury Hospitalizations
- Patients With Repeat Hospitalizations for Mental Illness
- Mental Health and Addictions Hospitalizations in Canada
- Mental Health and Addictions Hospitalizations in Canada, by Health Region
- Making a Difference at Ontario Shores (video) External link, opens in new window
- Using OMHRS Data to Support Decision-Making (video) External link, opens in new window
- Using the interRAI Assessment System (video) External link, opens in new window
- Following the Flow of Health Data (video) External link, opens in new window
- Addiction Treatment in Canada: The National Treatment Indicators Report (Dec 2017) External link, opens in new window
- Toward Quality Mental Health Services in Canada: A Comparison of Performance Indicators Across 5 Provinces (2017) External link, opens in new window
- Mental Health Commission of Canada’s Informing the Future: Mental Health Indicators for Canada (2015) External link, opens in new window
- Changing Directions, Changing Lives: The Mental Health Strategy for Canada (Nov 2012)External link, opens in new window
- Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction External link, opens in new window
- Mental Health Commission of Canada External link, opens in new window