Publicly available statistics and custom data requests
CIHI provides access to publicly available statistics, such as through analytical reports and Quick Stats. We also meet the data needs of other stakeholders through our ad hoc custom data request process.
Data request information
Custom request pricing
Custom request process
You’ll find more information about CIHI’s data holdings here:
External custom data request service standards
CIHI is committed to providing high-quality services that incorporate the principles of accessibility, responsiveness, timeliness and accountability and that ensure data quality.
When we receive a data request, we provide services in a responsive, timely and collaborative manner; in turn, we ask that you provide all required supporting documents in a timely manner, formulate your requests as accurately as possible and be available to respond to questions when the need arises.
Our service standards for data request turnaround times are based on the type and complexity of each request. We will complete a preliminary assessment of your data needs and determine whether it is a standard, complex or very complex request. Please see the examples below as a guide.
Once we have received all of the necessary information from you and the data requirements have been documented and finalized, we will process your data request. We’ll provide you with the data within the service standard time frames listed below.
Custom request pricing
CIHI responds to custom data requests on a cost-recovery basis. CIHI will invoice clients based on production time: the number of hours needed to review the data request, consult on and develop specifications, manipulate and/or analyze data, seek advice from CIHI’s support areas, perform data quality assurance and transmit data.
Clients are charged as follows:
- $145 per hour for Price A, which is applicable to Canadian health care facilities, governments, not-for-profit health agencies, universities (except for students through the Graduate Student Data Access Program), health professionals and researchers from the public sector
- $290 per hour for Price B, which is applicable to private commercial operations (including but not limited to software vendors and consultants), foreign clients and others not qualifying for Price A
CIHI offers the first two hours of production time at no charge for Price A only.
Custom data request fees are subject to the goods and services tax (GST) or harmonized sales tax (HST). The GST/HST will be added to the client’s invoice, where applicable, as a separate identifiable charge.
Custom request process
Follow these steps for a custom data request:
- Browse CIHI’s website: Browse CIHI’s data holding pages to narrow down the main topics and databases of interest. These pages often contain information on data elements as well as data availability.
- Submit a form: Complete and submit the online Data Inquiry Form, which will be routed to the appropriate department based on the main topic you selected.
- Obtain an assessment: We will provide you with an assessment of our data’s ability to answer your research question or data needs, as well as our conditions to release data in accordance with our privacy and data release policies. We will also flag any need for additional authorizations or approvals that may be required or additional CIHI expertise (such as from the Classifications department) that may be required to fulfill your request.
- Finalize your request: Working closely with you, we will finalize the specifications of your data request and ensure that appropriate documentation (for example, formal data request forms for third-party requests) is completed. During this stage, we will be in the best position to provide you with an estimated price and timeline.
- Receive secure data delivery: Once the data is processed and verified, we will make arrangements with you regarding its secure delivery. For third-party, record-level data requests, CIHI has a follow-up program in place to ensure that clients securely destroy CIHI’s data after a specified period of time, as stated in the non-disclosure/confidentiality agreement, which must be signed by you and all persons accessing the data. Also, as part of this confidentiality agreement, you agree to permit CIHI to visit your premises and conduct an audit. See the Information Sheet on CIHI’s Privacy Audit Program for Third-Party Record-Level Data Recipients (March, 2012) (PDF, 97 KB).