Canadian Hospital Reporting Project (CHRP)
The Canadian Hospital Reporting Project (CHRP) is a national quality-improvement initiative providing hospital decision-makers, policy-makers and Canadians with access to indicator results for more than 600 facilities from every province and territory in Canada. The web-based, interactive tool was designed to foster quality improvement and learning about hospital performance.
For a brief overview of CHRP and the information found within this web tool, visit About This Tool.
For technical and interpretive documents, please scroll down to CHRP Key Resources and Toolkit.
The Hospital Results reports provide hospital-level results for each indicator over multiple years. The tool’s interactive functionality allows users to
- Examine performance across years
- Compare regional, provincial/territorial and national results with those of their peers
For more information, visit Hospital Results.
CHRP analytic highlights
CHRP’s analytical highlights include reports that highlight notable trends, variations and comparisons across hospitals, peer groups and jurisdictions over time. The reports help foster peer learning by identifying other hospitals to learn from in a selected group of indicators.
- Key Findings: Provides a summary of results for selected clinical and financial indicators, and highlights notable trends and interesting results.
- Clinical Performance Allocation: Helps hospitals identify others they can learn from and highlights performance results by assigning performance categories to seven indicators from the Clinical Effectiveness domain. This snapshot assists users in identifying areas where improvement is needed.
- Financial Indicator Trending: Provides insight into the operation of health service organizations. Users can examine trends over time and see how these compare with the national average.
For more information on how to interpret the results, please see the Key Resources section for the CHRP Toolkit documents.
Reports and analyses
An interactive website focused on the performance of Canada’s health care system. Current data for the 30-day overall readmission and cost per weighted case indicators can be found on this site.
CHRP Key resources and Toolkit
- CHRP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (PDF, 374 KB)
- CHRP Key Messages (PDF, 349 KB)
- CHRP Interpretation Notes (PDF, 570 KB)
- CHRP Interpreting Indicator Results (PDF, 590 KB)
- CHRP Clinical Indicators Quick Reference (PDF, 263 KB)
- CHRP Financial Indicators Quick Reference (PDF, 160 KB)
- Indicator Development at a Glance (PDF, 162 KB)
- Performance Allocation at a Glance (PDF, 328 KB)
- Peer Grouping at a Glance (PDF, 272 KB)
- Community and Facility Profiles at a Glance (PDF, 321 KB)
The updates listed below are of interest to acute care hospitals participating in CHRP. For more general information about these projects, read the information sheets or see More Information below.
- Summer 2012 Canadian Hospital Reporting Project Update (PDF, 156 KB)
- July 2012 Developing a Pan-Canadian Patient Experience Questionnaire for Inpatient Care (PDF, 66 KB)
- March 2012 Public Release Information Sheet (PDF, 210 KB)
- December 2011 Information related to changes to the clinical indicators as well as the public release of results (PDF, 90 KB)
- November 2011 An overview of the upcoming public release of results, including what indicators are being released for which years (PDF, 231 KB)
- June 2011 Canadian Hospital Reporting Project: An Update (PDF, 257 KB)
- December 2010 Canadian Hospital Reporting Project: An Update (PDF, 233 KB)
- June 2010 An update on preliminary clinical indicator results, registration for the CHRP eTool and information on upcoming education opportunities (PDF, 271 KB)
- March 2010 An update outlining work completed on electronic tool, hospital profiles and peer groups (PDF, 115 KB)
- February 3, 2010 Draft list of year 1 indicators (PDF, 75 KB)
- February 1, 2010 An update on our progress and a summary of next steps in the upcoming critical phase of the project (PDF, 149 KB)
We welcome your feedback and questions.